George Husmann was becoming well known for his expanding expertise in grape growing techniques and he wrote many articles, and started horticulture organizations which brought the Missouri wine industry to national attention
Husmann developed a nursery and fruit tree farm that became known throughout the Midwest as a model business, providing grape plants, fruit trees, and more exotic plants and seeds from Europe and Asia to customers across the United States. Evidence of this eclectic tree farm still exists on the property in the form of a majestic ginkgo tree (the largest in America) still standing next to the grand brick home Tuebner built.
In May of 1858, Husmann was joined by Charles Manwaring of Geneva, New York, to form Hermann Nurseries, which by 1860 ranked as the largest, most profitable business in Gasconade County. Husmann and Manwaring became two of the wealthiest residents in the area.
With the onset of the Civil War, both Husmann and Manwaring took leave of their business and joined the Union Army. In June of 1863 Captain Charles Manwaring was appointed Provost-Marshal for the Second District and was stationed in St. Louis. In May of 1864, during a trip home to Hermann to visit his wife and young son, Charles Manwaring was killed by Confederates, while attempting to capture Rebel bushwhackers on the Hermann wharf. The fallen farmer, now local Civil War hero, was buried at the cemetery located on the Farm, near the graves of Charles and Josephine Teubner.
In October of 1864, General Marmaduke’s Confederate forces camped on the Husmann farm, destroying thousands of fruit trees and vines, and emptying the hillside cellar, after drinking all they could consume over a two-day period before marching to Jefferson City.
After the war ended, Husmann's nephew took over the wine making responsibilities and Husmann moved across the river from Hermann to start a new venture.
This was a grape and livestock farm and is located at the Hussman Manwaring estate, including a smokehouse, cellars, spring house and barn.
Not for reproduction. Used with permission of The State Historical Society of Missouri
Charles Manwaring Grave